Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the Frequently Asked Questions below for more details:
- Q. When are your next Teacher Training Courses and what is the cost?
- Q. What’s different about the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
- Q. Can I take just one Certificate/Module or do I have to take them all? Do they have to be taken in a certain order?
- Q. What is the Difference Between Having a Certificate and Being a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher?
- Q. What do I need to teach kids yoga?
- Q. I have taken a training course with another school or company, can I count this towards the 95 Hour Certificate?
- Q. Can I take this training if I am NOT a Yoga Teacher? Are there any prerequisites to take the courses?
- Q. Is Young Yoga Masters registered with Yoga Alliance?
- Q. Will I be able to teach the children in my classroom or daycare room as part of a circle or daily physical education?
- Q. Can I teach kids yoga as a Kids Yoga Teacher with this training?
- Q. Can I take the course if I am pregnant or have an injury or cannot fully do the yoga poses for another reason? Is their a lot of yoga in the training?
- Q. Is there a minimum age limit for taking the Kids Yoga Teacher Training Course?
- Q. What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy for the Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
- Q. I can’t make it to the training, can I just purchase the curriculum, manual, and course material without taking the course?
- Q. Can you come to my city to offer the training? How can this happen?
- Q. I’m still not sure – Can I talk to someone?
Q. When are your next Teacher Training Courses and what is the cost?
Answer: To see all upcoming teacher training courses and costs please click here. There is space in a course unless it is indicated that the course is full.
Q. What’s different about the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
Some of the things that set Young Yoga Masters apart:
- Experience with Real Kids: Each Module has 3 hours of yoga classes with real kids in attendance. One of those hours, you’ll observe the expert Faculty teachers in action. In the other two hours you will teach start teaching kids classes along with the other students in the training. You will experience exactly how to welcome the kids, follow your lesson plan, and go with the flow with changes as needed. You will know exactly what its like to teach yoga to kids. You’ll complete your Certificate AND have teaching experience to put on your resume.
- Real Yoga In a Ready-to-Teach Curriculum: You get a range of ready to teach lesson plans with real yoga themes as well as playful games and fun activities. You’ll see how rewarding it is to teach tools to help children manage the stress of modern life. You’ll use the Kids Yoga Class Creator to make your own lesson plans too!
- Follow Up Support: Most courses end and the student is left to navigate their teaching on their own. At Young Yoga Masters you get follow up and ongoing training with our website and Newsletter Articles and Updates. You can stay in touch with your trainers and other kids yoga teachers after the course is over.
- No Hidden Costs – We hold Nothing Back: Our goal is to create kids yoga teachers. Your registration includes printed manuals, yoga cards, posters, books and eye-catching tools. Look at each Certificate to see all the goodies included. You get our tested lesson plans, tips for what works and what doesn’t work, and real examples from years of teaching kids yoga. Because at the end of the training all that matters is that you can teach children yoga. When you review your manuals for years after the training, you won’t have to remember what was covered in the training, it’s all in the manuals! Many students say the material they receive in the Young Yoga Masters training is more thorough and complete than what they received in their 200 hour yoga training.
- Registered Training: Young Yoga Masters is a Registered Children’s Yoga School, which means this 95 hour training was reviewed and got the seal of approval from the outside experts at Yoga Alliance. (see next question for more details)
All these set Young Yoga Masters apart and foster a love of teaching yoga to children. And that’s what we’re all about!
Q. Can I take just one Certificate/Module or do I have to take them all?
Do they have to be taken in a certain order?
Answer: You don’t have to take all 6 Certificates. Each Certificate (16 Hour Module) can be taken individually, we encourage you to start teaching what you have learned right away.
If you choose to take more than One Certificate, you can take them in any order because each Certificate course stands on its own.
- 1 Certificate = 16 Contact Hours of Training
- 6 Certificates = 96 Hours of Training and meets the 95 Hour Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School Training Requirements
For more details on what is required to Register with Yoga Alliance see the next question.
Q. What are the Different Levels of Certification? What is the Difference Between Having a Certificate and Being a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher?
Answer: At this time anyone may teach Yoga because Yoga is an unregulated industry. This means, unlike a masseuse or other such fields, the government does not require you to have a license of any sort to teach yoga (please double check if this is the case in your area because some governments have made movement to change the requirements). However there are various levels of certification and yoga industry standards.
- Weekend or Workshop Certificate: Most Kids Yoga Teacher Training give a Certificate of completion at the end of the course, no matter how long it is. Young Yoga Masters gives you a Certificate after each Module you complete so you can start teaching right away.
- 95 Hour Certificate: The yoga industry standard for children’s yoga schools, set by Yoga Alliance, is 95 Hours of Kids Yoga Teacher Training meeting specific training requirements. Young Yoga Masters is a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School. Completion of all 6 Modules in any order will Certify you as a Children’s Yoga Teacher with Young Yoga Masters, a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School.You get a 95 Hour Children’s Yoga Teacher Certificate with both Young Yoga Masters seal and our Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School seal (see picture on side) on the Certificate when you complete the training.
- Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT): As per the Yoga Alliance website to become an (RCYT) you must have 200 Hours Training with a Registered Yoga School AND 95 Hours Training with a Registered Childrens Yoga School AND then teach 30 hours of children’s Yoga on your own after completing your RCYS. The 200 Hour Training and the 95 Hour Training may be taken in any order.
At Young Yoga Masters each Module counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate. We also offer the Ambassador Yoga 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training for adults.
Q. What do I need to teach kids yoga?
Answer: After reading about the different levels of Certification in the questions above you see that yoga is unregulated. Here is what we recommend:
- Choose a Training that Counts Towards the Yoga Industry Standards: If you are going to start training, choose one that will count towards meeting the yoga industry standards set by Yoga Alliance. We Recommend you start with a kids yoga training (like Young Yoga Masters) where each course counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate. This way you get all the tools and a Certificate from a weekend training AND you won’t have to start from the beginning if you want to get your 95 Hour Certificate.
- Consider Insurance: You may need a minimum number of hours of yoga training to get Insurance as a teacher, the number of hours varies from one company to another, from one region to another, so check with Insurance Companies where you live to see how many hours are needed.
- There are other considerations that may affect your long term goals, you can see more about this here.
- Continuing Education: if you are planning to teach kids for a while, plan to do continuing education. This is a requirements in most occupations and you will be surprised how quickly you can earn different levels of Certification over a few years. We find that many people in our training have taken other courses and continue their education to stay fresh and get inspired.
Q. I have taken a training course with another school or company, can I count these hours towards the 95 Hour Certificate?
Answer: Yoga Alliance requires that the full 95 Hour training be taken with one school to ensure all the educational category requirements are fulfilled (see the questions on Yoga Alliance School Requirements here). If the training hours are from various schools there is no easy way to assure this, so unfortunately hours from another school cannot be counted in the Young Yoga Masters 95 Hour Certification.
Each Young Yoga Masters Certificates is organized to cover all the educational categories required by Yoga Alliance so only Young Yoga Masters Certificates count towards your 95 Hour Certificate.
Q. Can I take this training if I am NOT a Yoga Teacher? Are there any prerequisites to take the courses?
Answer: Each Certificate of the Young Yoga Masters’ Training is open to everyone. If you have very little yoga experience, we especially recommend you take the Yoga Literacy Certificate , the Themes and Dreams Certificate, or the What I See, I Can Be Certificate because of their focus on how to start teaching kids yoga. The other courses focus on a variety of facets of kids yoga teacher training including special needs, family yoga, moms and tots, teen yoga, yoga camps, and anatomy for kids.
All Modules are open to everyone, including the Young Yoga Masters full 95 Hour Certification.
It is recommended, but not mandatory, that you have attended 40 or more adult yoga classes in any style yoga. This will give you a good foundation and knowledge of the poses from personal experience and will make it easier to teach yoga to children.
Also read the Levels of Certification Question above.
Q. Is Young Yoga Masters registered with Yoga Alliance?
Answer: Yes, Young Yoga Masters is registered with Yoga Alliance. This Yoga Alliance is the original organization that began bringing all the schools of yoga together to establish yoga teaching standards in 1999. It is an International organization.
We chose to register with this organization because it is a non-profit organization with a mission to help spread the power of yoga one person at a time. Most of the other “Yoga Alliance” organizations in other countries came much later and operate for profit.
Being a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School means our training was reviewed and got the seal of approval from the outside experts at Yoga Alliance. The training fulfills all standards in these categories as required by Yoga Alliance:
- General Background in the Specialty Area (12 hour)
- Techniques Training/Practice (20 hours)
- Teaching Methodology (15 hours)
- Anatomy and Physiology (10 hours)
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Children’s Yoga Teachers (12 hours)
- Practicum (18 hours)
- Remaining Hours (8 hours)
- Total: 95 hours
Please Note – As per the Yoga Alliance website: To become a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT) you must be an active Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) who has also completed a children’s Yoga training that meets Yoga Alliance standards. After completing the 95 Hour Training, graduates must also teach 30 hours of children’s Yoga before they may register as Registered Children’s Yoga Teachers (RCYT). These hours of children’s Yoga must be taught after graduating from a RCYS.
To request that Young Yoga Masters training become qualified for Continuing Education Credits in your profession or field, please contact email@example.com.
Q. Will I be able to teach the children in my classroom or daycare room as part of a circle or daily physical education?
Answer: Yes – in the Young Yoga Masters training each module gives you tools to teach children’s yoga. The manuals include instructions to safely and easily introduce yoga to children, regardless of your yoga experience. We have many school teachers, ECE’s, assistant teachers and personal assistants start using the yoga games and activities at work after one weekend of kids yoga teacher training.
Q. Can I teach kids yoga as a Kids Yoga Teacher with this training?
Answer: Let’s be honest, some teachers feel ready to teach after one weekend of training, some teachers need all six modules to boost their confidence. Each person is different. With each Module you complete you will gain experience teaching with actual kids in the class, by the end of the six modules you’ll have 18 hours of practicum experience teaching real kids. This is usually enough for teachers to go out and start teaching their own classes.
Some yoga studios may require you to have a 200 hr adult yoga teacher training certificate, although many do not require this. We advise you to check with each organization or insurance company as to their standards.
We suggest you check for regulations on teaching yoga in the country, province, state or area where you want to teach as well to be sure no government regulations have been implemented for yoga teachers.
Q. Can I take the course if I am pregnant or have an injury or cannot fully do the yoga poses for another reason? Is their a lot of yoga in the training?
Answer: Approximately 40 – 60 per cent of each training Module is spent doing yoga as we cover the curriculum, yoga poses, songs, and games. The yoga pose times are significantly reduced compared to what you would teach in a full class with children.
If you have a situation that does not allow you to do the yoga poses, you can observe this part of the training. No one should do yoga when it will aggravate their current condition and it is our goal to make our yoga inclusive to students. You will still be able to teach kids yoga if you cannot do the yoga yourself. You can use the pictures provided in the manuals and curriculum to illustrate the poses to children.
Q. Is there a minimum age limit for taking the Kids Yoga Teacher Training Course?
Answer: There is no set minimum age for the course. So far, the youngest participant in the course was 14 years old. She took the course to use for her babysitting jobs. If a young person is interested in yoga and feels they can complete the full Module and/or Full Certification, then they are welcome to attend. The minimum age to register as a teacher with Yoga Alliance is 13 years old.
Those taking the course who are under 18 will require a release form signed by their guardian.
Q. What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy for the Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
Answer: The Refund Policy is as follows:
Refund Policy for Individual Modules
- If a participant needs to withdraw their registration more than two weeks prior to the start of the Module a full refund will be given minus a $150 registration fee. This fee is made up of a $50 registration fee and a $100 credit toward any future Module offered on the Young Yoga Masters schedule.
- Any credits must be used within 18 months. Please note, Modules may or may not be returning to your area so you may have to travel to use the credit.
- If the withdrawal takes place during the two weeks prior to the start of the course, an additional $50 late withdrawal fee will apply.
- Once the course begins, no refunds will be given.
Refund Policy for 95 Hour Children’s Yoga Teacher Certification
- Non-Refundable Deposit: The $500 deposit for the Summer Certification Course is non-refundable. Please be sure of your schedule when you register.
- All other training: If a participant needs to withdraw their registration more than two weeks prior to the start of the first Module a full refund will be given minus the $150 registration fee.
- If the withdrawal takes place during the two weeks prior to the start of the first Module, the registration fee paid minus $250 will be refunded.
- Withdrawal after the first Module: The registration fee paid minus $700 will be refunded.
- Withdrawal after the second Module: The registration fee paid minus $1100 will be refunded. No refunds after the third Module begins.
- With Two Weeks Notice of Transfer: If a participant needs to transfer their registration to a future training more than two weeks prior to the start a $50 transfer admin fee will be charged.
- With Less Than Two Weeks Notice: If the transfer takes place during the two weeks prior to the start of the course, an additional $50 late transfer fee will apply for a total of $100 transfer fee.
Certification Requirements and Missed Hours
A total of 95 Hours of Training must be completed for full certification and to meet Yoga Alliance requirements of a Registered Childrens Yoga School:
- The 6 Weekend Modules in Toronto, Ontario, Canada consist of 95 Contact Hours and require no other training to complete the full certification.
- The 12 Day Summer Certification in Burlington, Ontario, Canada consists of 95 Contact Hours and requires no other training to complete the full certification.
- The 10 Day Summer Intensive (locations to be announced) consists of 87 Contact Hours (face-to-face training) and 8 non-contact hours to be completed outside the training. Students are required to attend all contact hours to complete this training.
If a student has to miss hours due to unforeseen circumstances, they can make up those hours in the following ways:
- A maximum of 3 hours per Module can be made up through private sessions with one of the Faculty (Private sessions are available at $108 per hour + hst).
- For more than 3 hours missed in one Module, the student will be required to re-do the whole module at a cost of $150 + hst to repeat the module.
- For those taking the 95 Hour Certification – up to 8 contact hours (with a maximum of 3 hours per module) can be made up through completing and submitting a “Self Study” for review by the Faculty. To submit a Self-Study assignment an additional fee of $275 + hst will apply.
Course Cancellation Policy:
Young Yoga Masters reserves the right to cancel any course that does not have sufficient enrollment. Any cancellation by Young Yoga Masters and the course hosts will be made at the time of the early registration deadline for that course. A full refund for registration will be given in the event of a course cancellation by Young Yoga Masters or the course hosts. Young Yoga Masters is not responsible for any other associated costs (airline, hotel, etc). For information on registration in your area please call: 1-416-944-2888 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. I can’t make it to the training, can I just purchase the curriculum, manual, and course material without taking the course?
- The Frog Yoga Alphabet Teacher Training Double Pack
- Yoga Man vs. The Stressor: Yoga for Boys Teacher Training
- What I See, I Can Be Teacher Value Pack – contact Aruna@YoungYogaMasters.com
Q. Can you come to my city to offer the training? How can this happen?
Answer: Yes, we can bring the Young Yoga Masters Certification to you. A training typically requires a minimum of 8 students, but this amount changes based on expenses. Contact Aruna about coming to your city to offer the course: Aruna@YoungYogaMasters.com
Q. I’m still not sure – Can I talk to someone?
We know this can be confusing. We offer a free consultation to anyone with questions about kids yoga or considering taking Kids Yoga Teacher Training.
Give us an email to talk with lead trainer Aruna at Aruna@YoungYogaMasters.com or call 1-416-944-2888.
We’ll do our best to help you make the right decision for your situation.
click here to return to top of page
Make a Difference! Teach Yoga to Children